I cannot agree with this as the recent task list in no way suggest killing
the apps. Actually every users seems to see it differently. Some take that
recent task list as the name suggest, recent tasks and activities, others
see it as you suggest an app killing, but most users don't know what's
actually happening when removing a task from that list.

Furthermore that list doesn't actually reflect apps still running, but the
recent tasks or apps used by end-user. On boot I may have a dozen apps
running, but no way to kill them (except going into settings, force-stop)
if I haven't started them once, making this task killer the worse I've ever
seen: it requires end-user to open the app before being able to kill it
permanently! And it's not because I remove a task from that very list that
I don't want its services to continue running.

Looking at documentation for the Service class and the related manifest
attributes definitely confirm the behavior of Android 4.0 to 4.3:

With Android 4.4, the below flag is now ineffective, which falls into the
bug category, not the other way around as you suggest.

public static final int stopWithTask
Added in API level
14<http://developer.android.com/guide/topics/manifest/uses-sdk-element.html#ApiLevels>

If set to true, this service with be automatically stopped when the user
remove a task rooted in an activity owned by the application. The default
is false.

Must be a boolean value, either "true" or "false".
public void onTaskRemoved
(Intent<http://developer.android.com/reference/android/content/Intent.html>
 rootIntent)
Added in API level
14<http://developer.android.com/guide/topics/manifest/uses-sdk-element.html#ApiLevels>

This is called if the service is currently running and the user has removed
a task that comes from the service's application. If you have set
ServiceInfo.FLAG_STOP_WITH_TASK<http://developer.android.com/reference/android/content/pm/ServiceInfo.html#FLAG_STOP_WITH_TASK>
 then
you will not receive this callback; instead, the service will simply be
stopped.

---
"Android Developers" group.