@ Dianne Hackborn, this is a big issue and I guess deserves more than your
wishy-washy answer. Android/Java are not just programming languages but
cultures that define the people who dont want sticking to control freaks
such as Steve Jobs and Bill Gates. Many people like to have this feature so
that they can use the mobile as a monitoring device for large projects. I
am happy to sacrifice a phone' battery to do the job I need without
publishing this on Google Play. Currently, I leave the screen on which is a
lot worse than leaving just the accelerometer on. Seeing this topic in many
places, I think Android team should allow people to do whatever they like
with their phone.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/android-developers/ee782441-e67e-47d3-9cd8-9b96d770bae6%40googlegroups.com.