I have released my game on 19th of February, built against SDK 1.1 but
no minSdkVersion, and tested on my G1 w/ 1.1, i.e. it should be
working on 1.0 devices. So far I haven't got a report that it's not
working on any device, other than the intermittent "Force Close"
issues after an update.

Bottom line is, don't worry, install 1.1 and build against SDK 1.1 - I
haven't had any problems. Surely I haven't used any feature from 1.1,
not that there are many.

Do read http://developer.android.com/sdk/android-1.1.html to get more
confidence.

Cheers