I think it's a good policy.  This has the side effect (intended or
not) of providing a useful 'gate' to prevent thousands of crap/spam
apps from being uploaded.

Having people register and making them pay a trivial fee (I would
content $25 is trivial) is a nice way to keep it to people who really
have a legitimate app to upload vs. everyone uploading their first
Hello World app because it's cool.

Bob Rose
AndroidSavvy.com