On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 6:44 PM, Seer <gilligan.ch...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry just to be clear.  You work on the framework but not the
> base/telephony part of the framework?

Yes.

> Is there anything in the
> framework that allows an application to replace or override part of a
> framework classes functionality?

No.  And you aren't even talking about replacing framework classes, you are
talking about directing IPCs from one process to another.  Another process
that is not a system process, so can be killed or otherwise crash at any
point.  Just to do something at all like this would mean that this process
needs to be forced to be kept running forever as long as it wants to
implement this feature; even ignoring the stability issues, it's not
something we want to do.

> I know it is unlikely but figured it
> is work asking. The following class is one i would love to override or
> intercept or something like that
> \base\telephony\java\android\telephony\gsm\SmsManager.java

Sorry, you can't.

> Would you happen to know anyone that could help or answer my
> questions?  I know you most people don't like to be contacted directly
> or asked questions directly but maybe you could ask them to have a
> look at this thread?

As I said, you can try posting to android-platform.  At this point this is
not the right list for this discussion.

> Thanks for the info so far. It has not exactly been what i want to
> hear but it is still very useful and it is sounds more and more like i
> want to do the impossible. :( Just my luck.

Sorry about that.

--
Dianne Hackborn
Android framework engineer

provide private support.  All such questions should be posted on public
forums, where I and others can see and answer them.