I have a SurfaceView upon which I'm making various ongoing Canvas draw
calls.    I would like to either 1) Render GL content directly on top
of this SurfaceView, or 2) layer a GL View with a transparent
background on top of the underlying SurfaceView.   I must be able to
draw to both the background SurfaceView's Canvas and the foreground GL
View simultaneously.

I've been tinkering with the API demos, specifically
TranslucentGLSurfaceViewActivity and SurfaceViewOverlay, but can't
seem to make this work.   I've tried doing this in my Activity.onCreate
() :

setContentView(<background SurfaceView>);
addContentView(<foreground GLSurfaceView>);

but only the backgroundSurfaceView is visible -- the GL View is not
visible.

If anyone could provide me a bit of guidance on how to do this or
something equivalent I would be very appreciative.

Thanks