Hi,

You are mistaking two different things. Some Java ME phones have a
dedicated chip used to interpret the Java bytecode. OpenGL
acceleration is another thing entirely. The G1 has a dedicated GPU
that can be used to accelerate OpenGL. Any Android OpenGL application
benefits from that hardware acceleration. However, the Dalvik bytecode
is not hardware accelerated by a dedicated chip, but simply
interpreted with the CPU.

On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 12:00 PM, Tseng <tseng.priv...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> From what i know, most of the Java/J2ME phones use the chipsets
> acceleration functions (some mobilephone CPUs are optimized for java
> accerlration in 2d/3d games). But since Android is not based on Java/
> J2ME, it doesn't support this acceleration (even though the CPU used
> in the G1 supports Java Open GL acceleration). From what i've read,
> the reason for this is that android use it's own virtual machine to
> executing the bytecode.
>
> However, i'm not really sure if it's true, maybe one of the Android
> Engineers can confirm or deny it. With this in mind OpenGL could bring
> some more performance but it doesn't have to (unlike on onther Java
> phones)
>
> On Mar 31, 3:29 am, dm1973 <david050...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I think you should learn OpenGl (even for 2D games). I haven't tried
>> it on Android yet but I image you can get much better results by doing
>> your animation using it than by doing drawing using the android APIs.
>> Off the top of my head, I don't know the hardware specs of the G1 but
>> if it is anything like the iphones accellerator, it has plenty of
>> power to make good looking smooth 2D games.
>>
>> On Mar 30, 12:30 pm, Stoyan Damov <stoyan.da...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> > I will try to code a demo which does side scrolling tonight, but I
>> > don't know opengl, so I won't use it.
>>
>> > My phone is getting worse every day (I haven't used it as phone as a
>> > matter of fact for a while) but in case it does manage to show smooth
>> > scrolling, in the 5 seconds idle period, when it's not attempting to
>> > send an MMS to the GOD DAMN myFaves service (and thus trigger GC),
>> > I'll post the code.
>>
>> > Cheers

Romain Guy
Android framework engineer
romain...@android.com

to provide private support.  All such questions should be posted on