Is this even a topic for google's engineers?  The way I see it is it
would be up to the manufacturer of the hardware to decide whether to
implement the Java VM or Dalvik.  There is no guarantee that hardware
will have a processor that is optimized for java byte code, and
therefore should not be in the core android OS.

~clark