Hello,

The new SDK include multiple versions of the Android platforms.
Because newer versions could have slightly different build steps, we
have decide to keep most of the build logic inside the platforms
themselves.

Thus, the new build.xml imports a file called android_rules.xml
located inside SDK/platforms/<platform>/templates/ (it might move in
the final SDK but you shouldn't care much).

This file actually being imported is resolve in the first step of the
build. The custom task <setup /> looks at the value loaded from
"default.properties" which contains the target project (ie which
platform/add-on the project is compiling for), and then import the
proper rules file (after doing some properties init as well).

If you want to change the rules to make them your own, I'd sugges to
leave android_rules.xml unchanged, and instead copy the rules inside
your build.xml file, *after* the <setup /> task.
Additionally, change the setup task to <setup import="false"/>. This
will let the custom task do the properties init but not do the import.

Some of the target in the rules files are slightly different than
before, with some using custom tasks as well. This is due to a new
feature to generate multiple APKs from a single project (with
different resources).
You can either ignore this and reuse some of the previous target/task,
or modify the custom task to do what you want (we're pushing the
source used to generate this SDK on the git server today)

Xav

--
Xavier Ducrohet
Android Engineer, Google.