My approach exactly. Plus I recommend you install your 1.1-based apk
on the 1.5 emulator (or device) to see how it performs.
Based on test results, I am preparing to release an 1.1-based update
that disables access to a couple of features that I found crashing or
hanging when running on 1.5 (BTW regardless whether the apk is a 1.1
or 1.5 build).