Looks like there is no obvious good answer. Comes back to personal
taste.
Personally I prefer to offer only one edition/version of my app to
avoid confusing the user. Keep in mind as devels we're into this, but
the regular user may not be aware of all the complications. Having a
phone floating around in the pocket should remain a fairly low
maintenance affair IMO.

Previewing 1.5 on your own server may not be such a bad idea after
all. For the enthusiast. Set up a web site, include a manual and some
more information such as a compatibility matrix. Of course you need to
steer your users over to the site somehow. Happens I've set that all
up (except for an 1.5-based release, has been "broken" by 1.5) and
included a "More" button in the "About" dialog.