When implementing search in my application, I'm including some search
context info depending on the activity where search is invoked.  In
one of those, I'd like to implement type-to-search as well, but the
standard method of adding search context info doesn't work in that
case... the onSearchRequested() method in the activity is never
called.

Is there any way to include search context info in a type-to-search
invocation, or am I stuck with only the Search key and menu option?