Re-reading your original post, I don't understand how you can get the
"emulator: user image already in use" message with the emulator from
1.5. That is the error message you used to get in 1.1 when trying to
run 2 emulators with the same configuration -- in 1.5 you should not
be able to do that anymore, I think.

Maybe you should post the exact steps you were taking to get to that
error message.

Let's assume you're trying to launch the emulator from eclipse. I'd
try the following:
- edit the debug/run launch configuration of your project; in the
target tab, change it to "manual".
- try run/debug on your project.
- you should get a "device chooser" dialog that shows you existing
devices or emulator and a section to start a new emulator with a given
AVD
- the first time you want to runde/bug, you don't have an emulator
running so you'll select an AVD to run
- next time you have the emulator running so you just need to select
the existing instance, there's no need to create a second one and the
"device chooser" dialog will actually not let you do that.

Please try that and describe the steps you take and the result.
Thanks in advance,
R/