Dianne Hackborn wrote:
> Did AbsoluteLayout disappear from 1.5?  No.  Are you unable to write 1.5
> apps using it?  No.  Have we ever said we have any plan to completely
> remove it at any point in the future?  No.

AbsoluteLayout is flagged as deprecated in Android 1.5. As far as we out
here are concerned, that means we gotta abandon the class or clone and
maintain our own copy, and do either of those very very quickly.

Why?

Because there's no visibility into Android releases.

We received a 1.5 preview edition ~3 weeks before devices started
shipping incorporating 1.5. That's not enough time to do a proper
rewrite, so we can't wait until AbsoluteLayout totally vanishes...which
it could do at any time. For all we know, Android 1.6 will be released
next week (after all, I'm traveling again), and AbsoluteLayout will be
purged from the OS.

Now, if Android operated under Symbian-esque or Ubuntu-ish release
schedules, we would at least know the earliest possible time
AbsoluteLayout might vanish. And if the community were somehow involved
in the actual discussions on decisions like this, we might even be able
to find out if any given release removes AbsoluteLayout before the
release flies over the wall.

Give us transparency, and we in the community can better help ease
concerns over deprecation. Without transparency, please do not complain
when the community feels it has to rush around to deal with deprecation.

--
Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)

Android App Developer Training: http://commonsware.com/training.html