Thank you for your quick reply.

I thought about the PendingIntent, but in this application the
information is only useful to the Caller if it is received while the
Caller is active that time.  So if the information arrives later,
we'll still process it in the Service and store it for later use, but
we don't want to invoke an activity in the Caller.

- John