Thank you for the questions.

And yes, the answers do point to needing a service with IPC, though
the IPC can be loosely coupled via a Pending Result.

In reference to question #3: We are using an IntentService, so the
service should shut down when it does not have work to do as well as
provide the worker thread implementation and bookkeeping.

One question back to you: If the service is killed before its work is
completed, will an IntentService call onHandleIntent again with the
initiating Intent? Or do I need to cache that information myself?

- John