Wow.  This was frustrating.  I was having the exact same problem.  I
am a nube to the Java and eclipse stuff and on top of that I had to
get Ubuntu 9.04 for AMD 64 Dual Core running.

Anyway, the Error 45 is generated in the build/coreidroiddocs.mk make
file if javadocs command fails.  The error generating line is:

 || (rm -rf $(PRIVATE_OUT_DIR) $(PRIVATE_SRC_LIST_FILE); exit 45)

This appears twice: once for droiddocs and once for javadocs - don't
ask me what the difference is.  This file hides all the details from
us so debugging requires an expert.  I removed the exit 45 and enabled
some extra output (like removing the -quiet option from the javadocs
command and removing the $(hide) .  Eventually I got to an actual
error description - cannot resolve {...@link #setFinalX()} and { c...@link
setFinalY()} links in this comment segment in (android root)/
frameworks/base/cor/java/android/widget/Scroller.java.

    /**
     * Extend the scroll animation. This allows a running animation to
scroll
     * further and longer, when used with {...@link #setFinalX()} or
{...@link setFinalY()}.
     *
     * @param extend Additional time to scroll in milliseconds.
     * @see #setFinalX(int)
     * @see #setFinalY(int){...@link setFinalY()}
     */

As I said, I am a nube.  I would not have expected a comment field to
generate errors.  Apparently the javadocs command scours the code
files for specially formatted comment fields to automatically generate
documentation that someone finds useful.  So even if the code
compiles, the special comment fields can crash the javadocs function.

I removed the @link  phrased from this file, and viola the make file
could progress.  Eventually I ran into more errors that I was unable
to debug, so far, but I was eventually able to complete the make
process.

While debugging, I was using "make docs" to isolate the problem.  In
this mode, at least, several javadocs are generated, each getting a
new folder in "(android root)/out/target/comman/docs"  and once
completed the empty file "*-timestamp" is created in the same
directory.
The "offline-sdk-timestamp" should be generated when the "offline-sdk"
documents have been successfully generated.   The "-offline-sdk-
timestamp" is used to signal make that these documents have already
been generated.  Since these documentation files should not be
essential (for now, at least) you should be able to get around the
problem by created the "*-timestamp" file with:

     touch (android root)/out/target/common/docs/offline-sdk-timestamp

specifying the appropriate (android root) directory and the timestamp
file given in the error 45 decsription

This should let you finish the build, or a least progress beyound the
javadoc portion.