OK, I give up.  I am trying to create an activity layout that has a
top level vertical linear layout like so:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<LinearLayout xmlns:android="http://schemas.android.com/apk/res/
android"
        android:id="@+id/mainLayout"
    android:orientation="vertical"
    android:layout_width="fill_parent"
    android:layout_height="fill_parent"
    android:padding="4dp">

        <TextView android:id="@+id/word" android:layout_width="fill_parent"
                              android:layout_height="wrap_content"
                              android:textSize="32dp"
                              android:textColor="#ffffff"
                              android:textStyle="bold"
                              android:text="Word"/>

        <ScrollView android:layout_width="fill_parent"

                <TextView android:id="@+id/wordDefinition"
                                        android:layout_width="fill_parent"
android:layout_height="wrap_content"
                            android:textColor="#ffffff"
                            android:text="A definition."/>
        </ScrollView>

        <Button android:id="@+id/backButton"
                        android:layout_width="fill_parent"
                        android:layout_height="wrap_content"
                        android:text="Back" />

</LinearLayout>

This works ok as long as the wordDefinition text isn't very long.
But, when I set the text to something very long, it pushes the back
button off the bottom of the screen.  Why???  Isn't the ScrollView
supposed to scroll the text in the child TextView?

I've tried playing with weights (e.g., giving the top text view a
weight of .2, the scroll view a weight of .7 and the button a weight
of .1, but to no avail.

What am I doing wrong?

Regards,

- Mike