I also have the same issue where two emulator instances can't call or
SMS each other like they could before (and simulated SMS or calls to
them do work -- it's as if the problem is just an outbound one?). Has
anyone made any progress on this? The documentation implies that it
should still work, but maybe the feature has been removed? Does it
work for anyone?

Thanks!