I thought others would find this really useful so I posted my FPS
counter app that lets you throw whatever code in the draw loop and
prints out an average of the last 10 frames FPS.  I used this to find
out that dividing by 2 is over twice as fast as multiplying by .5,
which is something 2D games do a lot to work with sprite positions.

Here is my code for all of you to share and be plentiful with:

http://www.rbgrn.net/content/286-how-to-test-android-performance-using-fps