OK Dianne, thank you for highlighting that the soft keyboard is not a
software keyboard. For me that is a novel insight, as I had hoped and
expected that the IME was (also, at the very least) meant to simply
emulate a software keyboard. Apparently it acts more like a newly
defined virtual input peripheral then. Indeed a paradigm shift for me,
as I simply want to keep on responding to individual key presses and
nothing else.

It would be absolutely fabulous to find some minimal example code of
how to do just that - and only that - with the IME. The soft keyboard
SDK sample is rather intimidating with its hundreds of lines of code
for a rich editing interface, making it hard to extract minimum code
as needed for just capturing individual key presses. I think other
developers would also appreciate this.

Thanks!