I solved this problem as follows (note: steps #1 and #2 may not be
necessary - they were done just to be thourough):

1. completely uninstalled Eclipse and deleted my default workspace
directory, because I use a non-standard workspace location.
2. Reinstalled Eclipse
3. Installed ADT version 0.9.1 from
http://developer.android.com/sdk/adt_download.html
4. Changed my workspace to my normal working workspace.
5. Everything works now.

Richard