Mike, I missed your reply, it must have been posted while I was still
replying.

The server and url in question is private and no one apart from myself
will ever use it. Personally, I can't see the point of getting a
proper signed certificate for this. But regardless, it should be
possible to to handle this sort of thing in webview.