I wouldn't expect this to happen soon -- being able to run an .apk from the
browser essentially means installing it, so that the security permissions it
requests can be granted to it, so the user needs to be involved with what is
going on.  At the end of the day, I can't really see this as being a whole
lot easier than just having a link to the app on Market.
I think there is a really important distinction between something the
browser runs for the user, vs. something the user explicitly decides to
install.  The former you want to much more tightly sandbox and control; once
you pass the line to the user explicitly installing it, things open up a lot
more.

Also as a purely practical matter, right now the browser runs as a single
uid; to be able to download an .apk and run it in the browser (assuming we
are okay with not giving this code any special permissions so no need to
involve the user) would require creating and assigning it a temporary uid
and running it in its own process...  which is again basically installing it
as a full-fledged app, just not showing a permissions dialog (because there
are none).  There is also a lot in the framework that closely depends on an
application being published in the package manager as a real app, which the
activity manager and others can manage, for most of the basic Android APIs
to work.

--
Dianne Hackborn
Android framework engineer