The platform only defines the API for voice recognition; because the current
implementation we have is tied to Google services, this is not part of the
base platform, so not available on all phones.  This is one of the reasons
the "API" is a loosly-bound Intent protocol.

--
Dianne Hackborn
Android framework engineer

answer them.