> but what else can be gleaned from the debug output?

A headache, most likely. That sort of stuff strikes me as something
definitely needing input from a Xav or a fadden or somebody else on the
core Android team.

Stepping back from there a moment, while I'm guessing you've tried all of
these, I'll list 'em for completeness:

-- What javac generated the .class files? If it's not the latest for that
particular generation (e.g., the latest 1.5, the latest 1.6), can you try
moving to the latest one and see if your results improve? If it's not the
Sun javac, can you try the Sun javac?

-- Have you been able to narrow it down to a specific .class file? Or do
several exhibit the behavior? What is unusual about those class files
compared to others that do not exhibit the problem?

-- Can the problem be triggered by a .class file generated from source you
are in position to post to an issue/list, so that others can see if we get
the same dx errors?

-- Are you doing anything unusual in your build (e.g., running an
obfuscator)?

-- Eclipse or Ant for your builds? If Eclipse, have you tried Ant/manual
compile?

--
Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)
http://commonsware.com