On Aug 2, 1:22 pm, Mark Murphy <mmur...@commonsware.com> wrote:
> Since your short-term goal is a compile, versus a run, try commenting
> out some of the stuff that seems strange, to see if you this file past
> the problem. The biggest thing in the affected method that leaps out at
> me is:
>
> >       // The string is dodgy.  Find the first valid char
> >       firstHash = firstHash == -1?firstHash =
> > Integer.MAX_VALUE:firstHash;
> >       firstZero = firstZero == -1?firstZero =
> > Integer.MAX_VALUE:firstZero;

Oh gosh!  No kidding.  I didn't notice that.  The first part that is
relatively ugly, although not strictly illegal, is the unnecessary
absence of parentheses.  More to the point, there is a completely
redundant assignment in the middle of the ternary assignment.  I
changed it to the following:

      firstHash = firstHash == -1?Integer.MAX_VALUE:firstHash;
      firstZero = firstZero == -1?Integer.MAX_VALUE:firstZero;

...leaving the absent parens but patching the assignment.  It built!
I haven't transferred it from the sandbox project to my primary
project, but this is good news.

Thanks.