oh i'm sorry, i had a brainfade reading your post.

i should have said that /dev/graphics/fb0 is mode 660, which means
unless you're root or in group 1003 then you can't read it. maybe the
native process runs setgid or something, which enables it to happen.

maybe the internals guys can say more, but right now it looks like
this device isn't available to regular SDK apps.

--
jason.software.particle