I changed the code to use the StringBuilder and then made the
StringBuilder and Formatter "static final private" fields, instead of
local variables.

My garbage collection went from once every 6 seconds to once every 27
seconds.

That is what I thought might happen and why I considered the code I
posted as wasteful.

I did not try using a String. There was another post on the group that
said a String would be more costly than a Formatter which is why I
took the Formatter route.

Rud