On Aug 28, 8:32 am, Kit <kitduna...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  I'm new to android and have found an interest in using an android
> powered phone to control a Pololu robotics servo controller/uart
> bridge (link to device below). I'm wondering if this is possible and
> what the best way to go about doing it would be. The device uses a usb
> port to send and receive data, it would also be valuable to be able to
> integrate the accelerometers, digital compasses and gps chips within
> the phone. For example the G1 or MyTouch seem to be likely candidates
> for the phone portion because they also incorporate a mini usb port.
> Please let me know what you think.

The USB will not work, because neither the G1 nor the Magic (Mytouch)
presently have USB host capability, they are USB devices which must be
connected to an external computer, and your servo board is the same,
so you would have two devices with no host computer.   There is some
suspicion that the underlying chips might be capable of host mode, but
I've not heard of anyone making it work and the main PCB could well
need modification.

The Neo Freerunner from open moko is a not entirely dissimilar
embedded linux phone (which can run android to some degree, though it
was not designed to and isn't officially and android phone) and does
have USB host mode (it's not 3g, or as debugged as a phone, but then
your project probably doesn't require either).

The G1, or at least  the ADP1 had a sort of debug serial port on the
extusb connector, and it sounds like the servo interface you were
looking at has a serial/uart version available.  This probably would
work if you can figure out how to turn it on (possibly even in a
Magic) - probably need to recompile the kernel or at least a kernel
module and have the ability to install the result on the phone, which
you can't officially do on a carrier-branded phone.