I'm very interested in doing this same thing.  I'd like to connect the G1 to
an I/O controller.
Looking at this page:
http://groups.google.com/group/android-platform/browse_thread/thread/439d3f3af7a88a09/10a80eb835e8dbcc?lnk=gst&q=serial&pli=1

...seems like the audio pins can also be used for serial I/O.

I believe this "Chibots Controller" has TTL level serial pins...
http://www.wrighthobbies.net/bots/ttbot/

I've not figured out, yet, exactly what needs to be done in the G1 to
control the serial port.

Please tell me if you figure anything out.

Steve