To be honest I don't know.

I know that if you're using Eclipse you'll need the donut ADT, but I
don't know if you can run the 1.6 image in the cupcake emulator.

What Linux distro are you using?, I'm building on Ubuntu 9.04, but I
have virtualbox on my main machine so I could roll another build if
the U 9.04 libc linking issue is causing a number of people problems.

Al.