Most of the WVGA Android devices I've seen announced are 5" media
tablets.

This has *everything* to do with my monitor because it's what the
emulator is being displayed on. I'm not saying that the dpi of my
monitor should be the same as the dpi of the emulator, what I am
saying is if I open an QVGA, HVGA, or WVGA sized window in the native
OS the dpi stays the same, therefore if I request a QVGA, HVGA, or
WVGA sized screen for the emulator and it opens a QVGA, HVGA, or WVGA
sized window I wouldn't expect the emulator to start changing the dpi
*as well* without either asking or warning me.

Al.