okay.  so, if the process is killed, then the static variable would
have been killed as well, right?  when the process is restarted, the
static variable holding the activites will be empty - and as new
activites get created, they will be added to this list.  in my
activity's onCreate() method (base class), I add the activity to the
static list and in the onDestroy() method (base class), I remove the
activity from the list.

So unless the system kills activites (and not tasks) without my
knowledge then I'm not sure I see the hole...