In case anyone is watching this thread, I'll post the example I threw
together here as well.

I was planning on writing a full blown tutorial but since I can tell
you are anxious to see it... This is a 1.5 compatible version that
uses modified versions of the TabActivity, TabHost, and TabWidget (and
related resources) from Android 1.6. There are obvious things that
could be done better but the idea is there and should at least get you
headed in the "right" direction.

http://nexsoftware.net/Android/Tutorials/CustomTabActivity.zip

This allows you to dynamically move the tabs from top to bottom, and
also allows you to hide or show them, you can swipe left or right to
switch tabs (particularly useful if you have hidden the tabs) and you
can also replace the activity of a tab with another activity. Because
this is the Tab framework from Android 1.6 you can also change the
View that is used for the tabs. Also... as I said, this is compatible
with Android 1.5.