Typically the emulator runs as a device that has a keyboard, in which case
the system deliberately does not automatically show the IME because the user
has easy access to a real keyboard.  It is recommended to not defeat this
behavior, resulting in an inconsistent behavior with the rest of the
applications.

--
Dianne Hackborn
Android framework engineer