Ah! That works fine, thank you very much.

As to why I was creating a NinePatchDrawable my self... I can only
claim inexperience with the NinePatch classes. :)

This is how it looks now, after your comments:

Bitmap tagBalloonBitmap = BitmapFactory.decodeResource(getResources(),
R.drawable.balloon);
NinePatchDrawable tagBalloon9pDrawable =
                        new NinePatchDrawable(tagBalloonBitmap,
                                        tagBalloonBitmap.getNinePatchChunk(),
                                        new Rect(0,0,0,0), null);

// Anders