On Oct 15, 1:16 am, Marco Nelissen <marc...@android.com> wrote:
> That doesn't make sense. The ratio follows from how the system
> installs apps, so it would be silly to allow apps to override it.

But why exactly is it 4x the APK LENGTH? Maybe the uncompressed apk
length is more relevant?

For example, I have a 7MB apk containing a 7MB zip file in res/raw.
The application simply streams the zip to the SD card so the VM does
not need much memory at all.

Why is the ratio set to 4?  If we had a perfectly tuned ratio
(potentially not a constant) how does it depend on factors like APK
file properties (e.g. length, uncompressed length), application memory
usage, Dalvik VM implementation etc...?