Spektor Yaron wrote:
> by calling the layout-land "layout3" i loose the android built-in method
> to switch to it when the orientation changes.

That is not what I wrote.

Copy layout/layout1 to layout/layout3. Then, all three are available
under unique identifiers.

You still have a landscape layout1 that would override the default
layout1 when the device is in landscape mode.

> that is why i added a proposed solution for that - call the get
> getResources().getConfiguration().orientation myself and figure out
> which layout to switch to. are you saying it wouldn't work?

No, I am saying having your own subdirectories under layout/ will not
work. I now realize that is not what you meant, and I apologize for my
error.

You are welcome to:

1. Add android:configChanges="keyboardHidden|orientation" to the
<activity> element of the AndroidManifest.xml file for whatever activity
or activities you want.

2. Override onConfigurationChanged() in those activities -- that method
will be called when the configuration does change.

3. Do whatever you want to affect the orientation change (e.g., call
setContentView() on whatever layout suits your fancy).

--
Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)

Android App Developer Books: http://commonsware.com/books.html