droidin.net wrote:
> So to summarize my question - how do I change background of the child
> element in the list item if I assign custom onClick handler to it? Any
> hints will be greatly appreciated

Are you actually getting control in your onClick()? If yes, then calling
setBackgroundColor() should work fine.

Here is an example project that changes the background of View in a row
based upon list selection (D-pad/trackball):

http://github.com/commonsguy/cw-advandroid/tree/master/ListView/Selector/

This differs from your scenario only by the trigger mechanism (onClick()
versus an item selected listener).

--
Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)

Android App Developer Books: http://commonsware.com/books.html