"Are you actually getting control in your onClick()? If yes, then
calling
setBackgroundColor() should work fine. "

Yes, I can setup a breakpoint and see how I'm executing this line. I
think the problem may be that in two lines after that I'm doing
startActivity(Intent) so maybe Android thinks - Ah - hell with this,
I'm not going to repaint existing Activity since the new one is coming
up. THe problem is - new Activity takes its sweet time since it's
making a network call, meanwhile user is left without any visual clue
if that click did really occur.

Here's a snippet

            body.setOnClickListener(new OnClickListener() {
                @Override
                public void onClick(final View v) {
                    final Object u = v.findViewById(R.id.e).getTag();
                    if (u != null) {
                        v.setBackgroundColor(R.color.item_highlight);
                        final Uri uri = Uri.parse(u.toString());
                        final Intent i = new Intent("summary", uri,
SearchResultsView.this, SearchSummaryView.class);
                        startActivity(i);
                    } else {
                        Toast.makeText(SearchResultsView.this, "Unable
to display details for this listing",
                                Toast.LENGTH_LONG).show();
                    }
                }