Ok, I got it working on my machine, this may apply to you guys too...
To run the android SDK manager in the first place, I exported the x86
lib directory inside of /android-sdk-mac/tools/, then I pointed the
JDK home in the android file to another place other than i's default.
That caused it to get the null error message when it tried to download
the packages.  Once I set up my Java config to accommodate android's
desired location for JDK 1.5 (32-bit) it worked fine.  This seems like
a strange glitch... they must be hard-coding the Java location
somewhere in the app aside from the java_cmd variable inside the
android sdk launcher.

Maybe this will point you in the right direction for getting Linux
android sdk working, I hope...
Also I will say that I _DID_ have to use the "force http" setting,
even with all that I did above.

Good luck!