What you can do is make your user enter serial #, the serial number
could
be a hashing function that you come up with that takes the device id
(could be the imei number)
the application could then check if the serial/hash code matches for
that device.  This would
require your customer to send you his/her imei # or another unique #
associated with the device so that
you can generate the serial code for that device.

You can also implement a two step method so that the customer can't
accidently enter in their imei incorrectly by misstake.

To do it this way you would generate a "Request For Serial Number
Code" store this code in your database.  The costomer
enters this code in their phone, your phone connects to your web
server sends the "Request for Serial number code" and the
IMEI number of the phone with it.  Your server generates the hash/
serial and sends it back to the phone.  You can then mark
the "Request for serial number code" as used so that they can not use
it for another device.  This is the method I use for my
applications.