On Nov 16, 2009, at 10:34 AM, nEx.Software wrote:

> Not to mention that just because someone might have pirated some app
> at some time, doesn't mean that they pirated your app.
> That's why it needs to be able to check against Google Checkout or
> whatever payment processor is used...

Also not to mention how many people buy out-of-contract phones off of eBay to
toy with new techy stuff.  What if someone gets their phone's IMEI blacklisted
in your database, goes and sells their phone, and someone innocent now picks up
the phone and finds abruptly they can't use any of the apps linked into this
antipiracy thing?  (And lest you say that wouldn't happen, look at how many of
the Xbox 360 consoles that have gotten locked out of Xbox Live abruptly ended
up on eBay, while the folks who got locked out go get new consoles.  After all,
Xbox Live uses similar security methods, where the lockout applies to the
hardware ID, not merely the account.)

This isn't to say that antipiracy methods aren't desirable or useful.  Just
that if they bite /innocent/ users as well, you'll have a headache to deal
with.  Look at how many 'I can't see this app in the market!' threads we
already have, and how much frustration there is just from developers over that.
 Imagine the users adding to that with 'I paid for this app off the store, but
when I try to run it claims I pirated it!'

In general, as a software developer, I tend to think that antipiracy methods
that allow some pirates through are better than antipiracy methods that might
flag innocent users as wrongdoers.