I can confirm that an update interval of greater than 35 seconds
causes the GPS status icon to blink on an Sprint HTC Hero (Firmware
1.56.651.2).  It does not ever go away, it will blink all day long.
You can run and exit Google Maps and it goes away.

So now I get to decide whether to have this "bug" or run my location
listeners at a much faster rate than I normally would.

>From the docs for requestLocationUpdates:
Background services should be careful about setting a sufficiently
high minTime so that the device doesn't consume too much power by
keeping the GPS or wireless radios on all the time. In particular,
values under 60000ms are not recommended.

-Alex