Alex, have you tried a simple test of just registering, then
deregistering the listeners in an otherwise empty project? On my
G1/1.5, I don't get this behavior, the GPS icon goes away shortly
after a deregister. If it's a quirk on that device, that is worrisome.
In that case, many apps will burn out the user's battery?

Mark