>As you might have guessed I alone don't have the resources for such a bug fix.
>
>Just seems wrong to call the platform "open" when it's really only as
>open as Google sees fit to allow.  Would it not be frowned upon if the
>Linux Kernel developers started making kernel components vendors
>couldn't override/replace?  "Sorry, you can't use or develop your own
>sound card driver, you have to use ours that doesn't do quite what you
>wanted."

the issue isn't so much whether you can make changes, as whether
anyone will take them.

apart from a few proprietary closed apps like Maps, you can change
any part of Android you like, and run your own personal version on
your phone. you can even create your own Android distro, like
JesusFreke (et al) did, and put it out there to compete with others.
your changes might not be adopted into any of the official distros,
for very good reasons (security, in this particular case) but hey, on
the network everyone is made equal and people might like your distro
better. such is how the many Linux distros were born.

sounds fairly damn open IMHO.

(your sound card driver might not make it into a major Linux distro
if it had issues. just checking something into a random Linux repo
somewhere does not guarantee acceptance.)

--
jason.vp.engineering.particle