Hello Jason,

I would be glad to. Let me give you a simple example that does not
quite fit but should give you an approximate idea of what I mean.

Gold mining is an "open" activity. Anyone can go and look for gold. An
entire mythology has grown reinforcing the dream that ANYONE can go
and get rich looking for and finding gold. In fact, there have been a
few (very very few) individuals that have struck the proverbial gold
mine. However, for the vast majority of humanity, gold mining is
completely out of reach. In fact, gold mining is very big business. As
I said, this is a very small and imperfect example. To further
clarify, the keywords are scale and resources. It does not matter how
"open" something in theory is. Ultimately, if the scale and resources
are not there, it will die or, live in a very small niche.

By the way, ever heard of the word sycophant? Perhaps, I am being too
harsh but whenever I read these postings, that word comes to mind. I
am puzzled by the number of individuals that rise in the (aggressive)
defense of Google and its employees, as if they needed to be defended,
and don't do a good enough job of defending themselves as regularly
proven by Dianne.

Google and Android are not "causes". They are a company and a product.
The packaging may be a little different, and updated, but ultimately
Google is not and cannot be any different from, say, IBM, Apple,
Microsoft and Oracle. And, there is absolutely nothing wrong with
that.

Alex Donnini