A service is setup by an activity with startService(service_intent).
This service is meant to run 24 hours a day. After some amount of
time, 5 or 6 hours sometimes but its not predictable, the service is
killed.

The service has an onDestroy:
        public void onDestroy() {
                rssdb.log("Pigon destroyed");
                rssdb.close();
                notificationManager.cancel(1);
        }

In the database log, the destroyed message does not show up and the
notification #1 is not cancelled. Android makes no attempt to restart
the service. The database log will show the startup of the replacement
service if I trigger it by visiting the activity. What can I do to
keep this service running or at least get it restarted by android
automatically?

Don