First I got to apologize for that double posting. I got impatient
since it took so long for the message to appear.

In the meantime I figured it out myself, indeed using
android:configChanges
within the Activity tag in the AndroidManifest. Now it works like a
charm.

Having solved this, a new question arises: how can I securely exit the
app when it loses focus, i.e. the user returns to the homescreen? I
don't want no background process.

Thanks to all,
Steff